Listen to great music on ZED 101.9FM

Listen Now

Pete Edochie Debunks Fresh Death Rumours

Legendary Nollywood actor Pete Edochie has once again dismissed rumours of his death, describing the recurring reports as false and mischievous.

The 78-year-old screen icon, popularly known as Ebubedike, said this is not the first time he has been declared dead. In a telephone interview, he expressed frustration over what he called repeated attempts to spread misinformation about him.

“I’m alive and will die when my maker calls me home. I have been killed about seven times,” Edochie said.

According to the celebrated actor, false reports about his death date back to 2012, with fabricated stories claiming he died abroad or in tragic accidents. He recalled one rumour alleging that a plane he boarded from Enugu to Ethiopia had crashed and that he did not survive.

“At other times, they said I travelled abroad and died there. There was also a day my wife woke up to prepare for church service when her telephone rang, and the caller said he heard that I passed away that morning,” he stated.

He added that as recently as last year, someone in Ghana circulated another claim that he was already in the grave.

Reflecting on how he handles such rumours, Edochie cited advice from Nigeria’s late statesman, Dr. Nnamdi Azikiwe. “There was something Zik taught me. He said that anybody who’s wishing you death will die before you. All those people that wished Zik death died before him,” he said.

The veteran actor, who will turn 79 on March 7, attributed his vitality to family longevity. “My father died at 96, so we have longevity in my family,” he noted.

Pete Edochie remains one of Nollywood’s most respected figures and a recipient of national honours, including Member of the Order of the Niger and the AMVCA Industry Merit Award.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *