Lands Minister Commissions 3rd Batch of 636 Blue Water Guards

The Minister for Lands and Natural Resources, Emmanuel Armah-Kofi Buah, has commissioned a third batch of 636 Blue Water Guards as part of the government’s sustained efforts to curb illegal mining activities across the country.
The newly trained personnel will be deployed to major illegal mining flashpoints in the Central, Ashanti and Eastern Regions, as well as other affected areas nationwide.
Speaking at the passing-out ceremony held in Jomoro on Saturday, December 20, the Minister said the latest cohort would strengthen collaboration with security agencies in the ongoing national fight against galamsey. He reiterated that protecting the environment remains a top priority for the government, stressing that additional measures will continue to be rolled out to halt environmental degradation.
Mr. Buah acknowledged that while notable progress has been made in the fight against illegal mining, significant challenges persist. He therefore urged the newly commissioned Blue Water Guards to remain disciplined, patriotic and committed to their duties, and to avoid any form of compromise.
The Ashanti Regional Minister, who attended the ceremony at the Ezinlibo Naval Base, pledged his support for the initiative, assuring the Lands Minister of his continued backing in government’s quest to eradicate galamsey. He emphasized that the campaign against illegal mining is not an attack on livelihoods, but rather a call for responsible and sustainable mining practices, urging Ghanaians to embrace government-led programmes in that regard.
Addressing the media after the event, the Media Relations Officer at the Ministry of Lands and Natural Resources, Paa Kwesi Schandorf, said the Blue Water Guards have been playing a critical role in supporting the National Anti-Illegal Mining Operations Secretariat (NAIMOS) during nationwide operations.
According to him, the regular flow of intelligence provided by the Blue Water Guards has been key to the success of NAIMOS activities.
So far, more than 1,600 Blue Water Guards have been trained and deployed across various illegal mining hotspots, with additional recruitment expected in the coming months. Government is confident that the initiative will significantly contribute to the restoration of polluted water bodies that have been severely degraded by unchecked illegal mining.



