Seven-year-old boy swept away by floodwaters in Kumasi

A seven-year-old boy was swept away by floodwaters on Saturday, 27 September 2025, at Abrepo Bronikrom in the Bantama constituency of the Ashanti Region.
The child, identified only as Kwame, was among three children bathing in rainwater when one of their slippers was carried off by the current.
In an attempt to retrieve it, Kwame entered a nearby gutter and was swept away by the force of the water.
Residents told reporters that the other children tried to raise alarm and seek help, but the current had already carried Kwame out of sight. A search party was quickly organised, but as of Sunday morning, the boy had not been found.
Eyewitness Kojo Mensah said multiple efforts had been made to locate the child, including spiritual intervention.
“We’ve been there three times and even brought a fetish priest, who sacrificed a hen and eggs. The priest said he was under a palm tree, but we didn’t find him. We still believe he is in the water,” he said.
Mr Mensah described the incident as deeply troubling, noting that it was the first time such a tragedy had occurred in the community.
As of Sunday morning, neither the police nor rescue teams had arrived at the scene, raising concerns among residents about the lack of emergency response.
The incident has sparked renewed calls for improved drainage systems and flood safety awareness, especially in urban communities prone to heavy rainfall and poor infrastructure.



