Listen to great music on ZED 101.9FM

Listen Now

NSA ghost names scandal losses reach GH¢2.2bn

By Praisebell Rosemond Larbi

The financial losses linked to the National Service Authority (NSA) ghost names scandal have soared dramatically following a forensic audit by the Auditor General, according to the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice, Dr. Dominic Ayine.

Addressing journalists at the Government Accountability Series on Wednesday, October 22, 2025, Dr. Ayine disclosed that the total amount either stolen or illegally expended under the scandal has now reached a staggering GHS2.2 billion, nearly four times the figure initially reported.

“Also, I wish to announce that the Auditor General has conducted a forensic audit into the NSA scandal, and the total amount of money stolen or illegally spent now stands at GHS2.2 billion. This is significantly higher than the GHS548 million that was uncovered by our investigators earlier this year,” Dr. Ayine revealed.

The audit, which expanded the scope of earlier investigations, reportedly uncovered widespread manipulation of payroll systems, fraudulent enlistments, and unauthorised payments under the National Service Scheme.

The Attorney-General said the revelations underscore “deep-rooted weaknesses in the NSA’s financial oversight and personnel management systems,” adding that prosecutions will intensify in the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, former Deputy Executive Director of the NSA, Gifty Oware Mensah, has pleaded not guilty to multiple charges related to the scandal. She appeared before the Accra High Court on Wednesday, October 22, 2025, where she was formally charged with five counts, including willfully causing financial loss to the state, stealing, money laundering, and using public office for profit.

According to prosecutors, Mrs Oware Mensah allegedly created about 9,934 fictitious National Service personnel and siphoned monthly allowances meant for these non-existent workers. The alleged scheme resulted in financial losses exceeding GHS38 million to the state.

The Attorney-General’s office says additional individuals and entities are under investigation, as auditors continue to trace the movement of funds through various accounts linked to the operation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *