Gov’t to release funds for La General hospital project

Reconstruction work on the La General Hospital is set to resume following the approval of the second Interim Payment Certificate (IPC).
This was confirmed by the Minister of Health, Kwabena Mintah Akandoh, after he toured the project site on Thursday, October 9, 2025.
Mr Akandoh said the approval of the IPC would allow contractors to mobilise fully and continue work on the €50 million facility, which has stalled for years due to funding challenges.
Following its demolition in 2020 as a result of structural deficiencies, the project has had no assigned source of capital and is therefore reliant on funds provided through the national budget.
“This project has gone through some history. The first arrangement didn’t go through and then they had to follow a second alternative. So there is no reliable or, if you like, a dedicated source of funding. There are projects where you have loans or grants or you have a specific source of funding. So as it stands now, this project, you have to make an allocation on the national budget before you get money to continue this project,” Mr Akandoh explained.
He revealed that the government allocated GHS130 million in the 2025 budget to support the project, with about €7 million already paid out of the total contract cost.
“And the second IPC has been raised, as I indicated during my first submission. We have forwarded them to the Ministry of Finance, that is a process. The last time I did a follow-up was yesterday. I engaged the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Finance is committed to ensuring that funds are released for this project to progress,” Mr Akandoh said.
The announcement came during his detailed inspection of the hospital construction site, where he reaffirmed the government’s commitment to expedite action on the completion of the facility.
Mr Akandoh underscored the critical role the hospital will play in enhancing healthcare access for both the local community and the Greater Accra Region.
He acknowledged delays caused by supply chain challenges but assured that these bottlenecks would be addressed promptly through the mobilisation of the necessary resources.
The project is designed to feature state-of-the-art medical equipment and facilities that will improve health service delivery once completed.
“We will continue to monitor keenly, and I will have a special interest in this particular project. This is my first visit to the site in my capacity as Minister, though I have been here before in another role. It is my responsibility to ensure the project progresses smoothly, is completed on time, and that payments are processed promptly,” the Minister stated.
Mr Akandoh also expressed satisfaction that some workers had already returned to the site, adding that the government was committed to ensuring the hospital is completed within two years to



