Dozens of shops and cars torched in Sunday night fire at Sofoline

A major fire swept through the Sofoline Magazine area in Kumasi on Sunday night, destroying scores of structures, vehicles and shops as firefighters battled for hours to contain the blaze.
Witnesses said flames spread rapidly across the busy commercial enclave, setting cars and workshops ablaze while shop owners struggled to salvage their goods.
“Cars and shops have been torched. The fire was moving fast and the firefighters were overwhelmed at some point,” a resident told reporters at the scene adding: “we just took matters into our own hands”.
One female shop owner collapsed after watching her merchandise burn, according to eyewitnesses.
Reaction
The Ashanti Regional Minister, Dr Frank Amoakohene, confirmed the incident in a public statement, saying personnel from the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS), supported by other security agencies, were deployed to control the situation.
“I have been informed of a fire incident this evening at Sofoline. The Ghana National Fire Service, supported by other security agencies, is currently on the ground working diligently to bring the situation under control,” he said.
Dr Amoakohene urged the public to remain calm and allow emergency responders to operate without obstruction, while advising traders and households to take fire prevention measures seriously, particularly during the dry season.
He later announced that the fire had been brought under control, thanking the GNFS and security agencies for their efforts.
The cause of the fire remains unknown, and authorities have not yet provided an estimate of the damage.



