Listen to great music on ZED 101.9FM

Listen Now

World number one Sinner banned for three months

World number one Jannik Sinner has accepted an immediate three-month ban from tennis after reaching a settlement with the World Anti-Doping Agency over his two positive drugs tests last year. The 23-year-old Italian, who won the Australian Open last month, is suspended from 9 February until 4 May.

He will be eligible to play at the French Open – the next Grand Slam of the year – which starts on 19 May. Sinner had previously been cleared of any wrongdoing by an independent panel after testing positive for the banned substance clostebol in March.

Wada had been seeking a ban of up to two years, having launched an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) over the 2024 decision by the International Tennis Integrity Agency (ITIA) not to suspend Sinner.

In a statement on Saturday, Wada said it accepted the three-time Grand Slam champion “did not intend to cheat”, that the drug “did not provide any performance-enhancing benefit” and this happened “without his knowledge as the result of negligence of members of his entourage”. It means the CAS hearing will not take place, but Sinner will serve a
three-month suspension as “under the code and by virtue of CAS precedent, an athlete bears responsibility for the entourage’s negligence”.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Sinner said: “This case had been hanging over me for nearly a year and the process still had a long time to run with a decision maybe only at the end of the year.

“I have always accepted that I am responsible for my team and realise Wada’s strict rules are an important protection for the sport I love.
“On that basis I have accepted Wada’s offer to resolve these proceedings on the basis of a three-month sanction.”

SOURCE: BBC

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *