Sports Ministry releases statement on $3m payment to GBC over African Games coverage

By Lukman MUMIN, Accra
The Ministry of Youth and Sport has released a document in effect to the payment made to GBC over the coverage of the African Games in Accra.
The Ministry in their response to claims made by the Director General of the Ghana Broadcasting Corporation stated with dates how the monies were paid.
Director General of GBC, Professor Amin Alhassan had earlier refuted reports that his outfit received an amount in ‘excess of $3m’ for the games.
“We could never have used those monies for GBC’s needs. That would have been criminal,” he said.
“We facilitated payments to foreign third parties who came in to do the production and not for the benefit of GBC. GBC’s benefit, I repeat, is $105,000 and that is what we got.”
However, in a detailed statement, the Ministry said after the contract was agreed, they paid $2.5 million to GBC in two tranches of $1.5 million and $1 million on 13th March and May 22, 2024.
The statement continues that on the direction of GBC, the Sports Ministry also paid $1 million directly to the 3rd parties, in accordance with the contract. This brings the total amount paid to GBC and the 3rd parties to $3.5 million, leaving a $100,000 gap that has not been accounted for.



