Baba Yara Stadium Set for September Return

The Baba Yara Sports Stadium in Kumasi is on course to return to football action when Ghana’s 2026/27 season begins next month, with National Sports Authority (NSA) Director-General Yaw Ampofo Ankrah expressing confidence that the pitch will be ready for competitive matches.
Mr Ampofo Ankrah gave the assurance after inspecting the facility alongside NSA Board Chairman Dr Fred Awaah and the Authority’s Estates Manager. The inspection focused on the progress of rehabilitation works on the pitch, as well as the condition of the stadium’s scoreboard and floodlights.
The Ghana Premier League is scheduled to begin between September 4 and 7, giving the NSA only a few weeks to complete the current works. Mr Ampofo Ankrah said the pitch was responding well to treatment and should soon be strong enough to host league and, if approved, international matches.
The assurance comes after the stadium attracted criticism last month when images circulated showing groundsmen using hoes to remove weeds from sections of the playing surface. The NSA explained that the pitch had developed invasive weeds and undesirable grass species after being regrassed about six years ago.
The current rehabilitation programme includes weed control, mowing, manual removal of unwanted vegetation, application of alluvial sand to improve drainage and surface levels, and reseeding damaged areas. The Authority said the off-season provided an opportunity to undertake the work before competitive fixtures resume.
Mr Ampofo Ankrah acknowledged that the NSA lacks some of the specialised equipment commonly used for modern pitch maintenance but said efforts were underway to acquire the necessary tools.
Baba Yara’s readiness is also important ahead of Ghana’s 2027 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers, which begin in September. However, any decision to stage Black Stars matches there will depend on assessments by the engineers, the Sports Ministry and the Ghana Football Association.
More than 3,000 seats damaged during violence at school sports competitions in January also require repairs, with the Ghana Education Service expected to fund their restoration.



