Ghana to Ban Polystyrene Products From January 2027

By Esther Korantemaa Offei
The Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) says Ghana will impose a total ban on polystyrene products from January 1, 2027, as part of efforts to reduce plastic pollution and promote environmentally friendly alternatives.
Director of Human Settlement at the EPA, Hope Smith Lomotey, said the planned ban is in line with the National Plastics Management Policy launched in 2020 and its accompanying roadmap.
“We are just unrolling the roadmap that has been established,” Lomotey said. “So, 2027, God willing, 1st January, there is going to be a total ban on polystyrene products in Ghana.”
He explained that the government had been working towards the ban for several years, with sensitisation and stakeholder engagements forming part of the process.
According to him, President John Dramani Mahama also reiterated the government’s commitment to the policy during World Environment Day celebrations on June 5, stating that activities would be undertaken in 2026 to pave the way for the ban.
The ban will cover a wide range of polystyrene products commonly used in households, businesses and industries.
These include styrofoam takeaway food containers, commonly used by restaurants and food vendors, as well as polystyrene used in mattresses, ceiling materials and packaging for products requiring protection from damage.
“Those that they use to package cooling materials are part. All these are parts. They are all going to be banned,” Lomotey said.
He noted, however, that some specialised uses of polystyrene, including the transportation of vaccines and research materials, would require consideration, with appropriate arrangements expected to be communicated to affected users.
Lomotey said the EPA had intensified public education and stakeholder engagement ahead of the implementation date.
“We’ve engaged the importers of these polystyrene products on several occasions,” he said, adding that manufacturers, hoteliers, restaurant operators, vendors, market women and schools had also been engaged.
He said stakeholders had generally understood the need to move towards alternative materials.
According to Lomotey, the sensitisation campaign will continue until December 31, 2026, to ensure that businesses and consumers are prepared for the new policy.
“The engagement will still continue till December 31st. So the first of January will have a successful ban of polystyrene product in Ghana,” he said.



