Listen to great music on ZED 101.9FM

Listen Now

British tech tycoon and daughter among missing after yacht sinks off Sicily

British tech tycoon Mike Lynch and his 18-year-old daughter, Hannah, are among six people missing after their luxury yacht, Bayesian, sank off the coast of Sicily in the early hours of Monday morning. The 56-meter (183-foot) yacht, carrying 22 people including British, American, and Canadian nationals, capsized during a severe storm near the village of Porticello, close to Palermo, the Sicilian capital.

The incident occurred around 05:00 local time when a powerful storm, accompanied by waterspouts, struck the area, causing the yacht to lose balance and eventually sink. Rescue operations commenced immediately, leading to the rescue of 15 people, including a one-year-old British girl. However, Mike Lynch, his daughter Hannah, and the yacht’s chef remain unaccounted for, with search efforts ongoing.

Details of the Tragic Incident

Local reports suggest that the yacht’s anchor was deployed when the storm hit, resulting in the mast breaking and the yacht capsizing. Divers have since located the wreckage approximately 50 meters below the water’s surface and are conducting an extensive search for the missing individuals.

Mike Lynch, often dubbed “the British Bill Gates,” is a highly influential figure in the tech industry. He co-founded the software company Autonomy, which was acquired by Hewlett-Packard for $11 billion (£8.6 billion). The potential loss of such a prominent figure, along with his daughter, has drawn international attention to the tragedy.

Accounts of the Rescue and Survival

In the chaotic aftermath, a Dutch-flagged vessel nearby played a crucial role in rescuing the survivors. Captain Karsten Borner, who led the rescue effort, recounted the moment his crew noticed that the yacht, which had been following them, had vanished. “We saw a red flare, so my first mate and I went to the position, and we found this life raft drifting,” he told Reuters. The life raft carried 15 survivors, three of whom were “heavily injured,” according to Borner.

One of the survivors, 35-year-old Charlotte Golunski, held her one-year-old daughter in her arms as they struggled in the stormy sea. “For two seconds, I lost the little girl in the sea, then I immediately hugged her again amidst the fury of the waves,” she told the Ansa news agency. Golunski, who was treated with stitches, was on the boat with her husband and colleagues from a London company. She described the harrowing experience of holding her daughter tightly while the storm raged around them, and many aboard were screaming for help.

Dr. Domenico Cipolla, based at the Di Cristina Hospital in Palermo, where some survivors were taken, reported that the survivors were “very tired” and “constantly asking about the missing people.” He added, “We have given the survivors this information, but they are talking and crying all the time because they have realized that there is little hope of finding their friends alive.”

Continued Search and Hopes for Recovery

Salvatore Cocina, director general of Sicily’s civil protection agency, confirmed that search operations would continue overnight, with specialized caving and rescue diving teams involved. The ongoing search underscores the gravity of the situation and the slim chances of finding the missing individuals alive, casting a somber mood over the region. The yacht trip, reportedly organized by Lynch for his work colleagues, was intended as a leisure voyage but has now become a tragedy that has shocked many across the globe. As the search continues, the thoughts of many remain with those still missing and their families, hoping against hope for a miracle amidst the devastation.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *