Otto Addo says he’s excited to be back as Ghana coach

By Eustace Nii AKWEI, Accra
Black Stars coach Otto Addo expressed his enthusiasm on Tuesday upon his return to the helm of the senior national team.
He announced a 26-man squad for the 2026 World Cup qualifiers against Mali and the Central African Republic.
Addo had previously resigned as Black Stars coach in December 2022, following the team’s elimination from the 2022 World Cup after a 2-0 loss to Uruguay in their final Group H match.
However, he clarified that his resignation was in accordance with his contractual obligations with German football side Dortmund, rather than being a direct result of the match.
Having initially taken over the Black Stars coaching role in February, following the dismissal of Serbian coach Milovan Rajevac, Addo returns to lead the team once again.
Ghana are set to face Mali on June 6 before taking on the Central African Republic on June 10.
“I’m really really excited, happy to be back,” Addo said.
“It was not easy but the FA had a lot of talk with Dortmund and even though I still have one more year contract, we managed to get out and I’m happy to be home and I’m back home now.
“I’m really really excited, I’m looking forward to the first match, (it) will be difficult, very, very difficult especially as we are some points behind the first placed, and as you know only the first-placed will qualify, tough situation but yea, I’m looking forward for the game and I think we will manage it.”



