Iran Withdraws from 2026 FIFA World Cup

Iran has announced that it will not participate in the 2026 FIFA World Cup, citing escalating conflicts with the United States and Israel. The decision was confirmed by the country’s Sports Minister, Ahmad Donyamali, who said there are “no conditions” under which the national team can safely compete in the tournament.
Donyamali stated that the withdrawal follows recent military actions by the United States and Israel, which he claimed have resulted in significant regional instability. “Since these hostile actions targeted our nation, we have no conditions under which we can participate in the World Cup,” he said in a televised interview.
He further highlighted the human cost of the ongoing tensions, saying, “Within the past eight to nine months, two wars were forced upon us, resulting in the loss of thousands of lives. Under these circumstances, participation is impossible.”
The 2026 FIFA World Cup is scheduled to take place from June 11 to July 19 and will be jointly hosted by the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Iran had already qualified for the tournament, finishing top of Group A in the Asian qualifiers. The team was drawn into a group alongside Belgium, Egypt, and New Zealand, with group-stage matches planned in Los Angeles and Seattle.
Earlier, FIFA President Gianni Infantino said he had received assurances from U.S. President Donald Trump that the Iranian team would be welcome despite rising geopolitical tensions. Infantino emphasized that the World Cup is meant to unite nations, and global football plays a role in fostering international solidarity during challenging times.
Despite these assurances, Iranian officials insist that the current political and security situation makes participation impossible. Their withdrawal raises questions about whether the team will be replaced and which country might take its spot in the tournament lineup.



