Listen to great music on ZED 101.9FM

Listen Now

Afghanistan cut off as Taliban enforces total internet blackout

Afghanistan has been thrust into near-complete digital silence after the Taliban enforced what watchdogs describe as a “total internet blackout,” cutting communication lines for millions and disrupting vital services across the country.

Internet monitoring group NetBlocks confirmed late Monday that multiple networks and telephone services were disconnected, marking one of the most sweeping shutdowns since the Taliban returned to power in 2021.

The group said the blackout was rolled out in phases across several provinces before reaching Kabul, where residents reported losing fibre-optic internet by late afternoon.

The move, which Taliban officials previously linked to efforts to curb “immoral activities,” has plunged the nation of 43 million into isolation.

Families abroad say they have been unable to contact loved ones, while international news agencies including the Associated Press, Agence France-Presse and Kabul-based Tolo News reported losing communication with their bureaus in the capital.

The impact has been immediate and far-reaching. Banking systems, online payments and e-commerce platforms have been severely affected, with reports of long queues at banks and shortages of cash.

Business owners say trade has ground to a halt, with one Kabul shopkeeper describing residents as being “blind without phones and internet.”

Flights into Kabul International Airport were cancelled or left in limbo, with flight-tracking data showing multiple arrivals marked as “unknown” and outgoing flights grounded.

The airport was described as “nearly deserted,” as passengers were told services would not resume until later in the week.

The blackout has also extinguished one of the last educational lifelines for Afghan women and girls. Since the Taliban banned schooling beyond grade six, many had turned to online platforms to continue learning.

With connectivity cut, students say their hopes of education and future employment have been shattered.

Aid organisations warn the shutdown could paralyse humanitarian coordination at a time when Afghanistan is already facing economic collapse and widespread food insecurity.

Human rights observers describe the move as part of a broader effort to silence dissent and restrict access to independent information.

Earlier this month, authorities in Balkh province said an “alternative system” would be created for essential services, though no details have been provided.

The order is believed to have come directly from the Taliban’s reclusive leader, Mawlawi Haibatullah Akhundzada.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *